Have you ever heard of Small Business Saturday? It is a day where small, local businesses are heavily promoted and urges people to support those companies. The day was first launched by American Express on November 27, 2010. It soon became so popular, that by 2012, all 50 states championed this day. By 2016, $15.4 Billion were spent by consumers on small businesses. The Office of Advocacy defines a small business as an independent business having fewer than 500 employees and less than $7 million in sales. As of 2016, there were 28.8 million small businesses, which accounted for 99.7% of US businesses. Small businesses have consistently played a major role in economic growth as they have created as many as 8 million jobs since 1990. Though when most people think about small businesses, they think of mom & pop shops or consumer goods. There are plenty of small businesses, like netlogx, that provide other types of services. e.g., dentist and doctors’ offices, accounting firms, offices of real estate agents, and legal services, you name it! There are all sorts of small businesses you can support.
The Holidays are right around the corner and many small businesses have unique handmade gifts. Support your local small Businesses!
If you aren’t sure where to find small businesses in Indianapolis, here is a map to help guide you.
Here is a suggested list of small, local businesses you can support!
- Fact and Fiction make Children’s toys
- Paper Acorncreates paper art
- Little White Arrow makes clothing for children
- Frittle makes pralines, sweet and spicy pecans, and a variety of other seasonal candies
- Grounded Plant and Floral Co is a floral studio and carefully curated plant and lifestyle boutique
- Ohmmygolly press has beautiful handmade journals, library jewelry and ornaments
- Onyx Exchange makes luxury candles, lotions, body washes, bath salts and soaps
- Rugged focuses on beard and hair products that are all 100% natural and designed to promote healthy skin and hair
- Native Bread has bread made from all natural ingredients and some are even gluten free!
- James Dant focuses on men’s apparel, beard care, accessories, and bags
- Jamie Locke Art creates very beautiful and large, personalized hand carved mandalas
- Edge Fitness is a CrossFit gym with on-site personal coaches who’s goals are to see you succeed
- Nicey Treat is a small business creating unique, all-natural, handmade frozen treats