Educate Yourself on Cybersecurity
Did you know there’s a National Cybersecurity Month? It comes up in October, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be focusing on cybersecurity during all months of the year. At netlogx, we’re always looking for ways to educate our clients on the fundamentals of keeping their data safe and secure. We strive not only to offer outstanding management consulting services, but also give clients the resources to get their cybersecurity under control. Get familiar with the basics of data security.
Get to Know the Basics
Before you can start taking cybersecurity measures, you’ll need to have a basic understanding of email phishing and common scams. Here are some definitions to know as you educate yourself on cybersecurity:
- Cybersecurity—Cybersecurity is a variety of processes, systems, and techniques used to keep information secure and out of the hands of bad actors. Cybersecurity has become a higher priority for public and private companies across the world.
- Spam—Spam is any type of unwanted and unsolicited message you receive in your email, voicemail, or text messages. Many times, spam is sent out in bulk to hundreds of users.
- Phishing—Phishing is a technique scammers use to coerce people into revealing personal information such as credit card numbers, social security details, and other confidential items. Phishing emails often look like messages from reputable companies.
What to Do If You Click a Spam Link
It happens to the best of us—you aren’t paying enough attention one day, and you accidentally click on a spam link. What next? Your data is likely compromised, so it’s crucial to take quick action to avoid any significant problems. The first thing you should do is disconnect the affected device from Wi-Fi. This stops the spread of malware to other connected devices. Then, backup your important files and start changing your passwords. Once those steps are taken care of, scan your device for malware. You may want to have a professional scan your device to ensure a thorough check. If you take these simple steps after a phishing scam, you’ll drastically reduce your chances of a big data breach.
Our Tips for Proper Cybersecurity
Prevention is your best strategy for avoiding cybersecurity issues. Thankfully, netlogx has a range of cybersecurity resources and tips for creating a security-first culture at the office. Here’s how you can minimize the threat at your organization:
- Implement Awareness Training—Make sure all your employees understand the importance of digital security with frequent training. These modules cover passwords, safe ways of sharing information, and methods of identifying phishing.
- Make a Security Management Plan—Planning is among the best ways to avoid future problems. A good security management plan includes ideas for business continuity, process reengineering, and a course of action if the worst-case scenario occurs.
- Do Some Vulnerability Scanning—We all have weaknesses, and it’s essential to identify those problem areas and brainstorm solutions. Through vulnerability scanning, you’ll learn which areas are most susceptible to a cyberattack.
Stay Secure with netlogx
It’s always a good time to brush up on cybersecurity training. No matter the time of year, be sure to train your team on the best ways to keep data secure. The management consulting professionals at netlogx would be glad to share our cybersecurity resources and strategies for staying safe. Contact us today to speak with a consultant.