Each morning you are met with a new day and an opportunity to reset. I can’t stress how important it is to release the toxins and stress that your body holds onto throughout the day. Fortunately, I have made some recent discoveries I’d like to share that have helped me stay calm, reset, and overall just feel better.
- When you wake up, try to keep your eyes closed. Listen to the sounds that surround you. Once your mind is awake, you can then open your eyes. I find when I do this, I am in a much better “place” mentally (mindset and mood-wise).
- Routine is important, but if it is not done with intention, it becomes just another mundane task—keep that in mind as you go through your day.
- Make your bed! If you do, you have already accomplished something for the day. Don’t just pull the covers up, feel good about how it looks, and take pride in your work!
- Talk to yourself in the mirror—silly, maybe, but self-talk does wonders for your mind. Truly, you are the most important person in your life, so invest some time in yourself to reflect. Remind yourself this often and say it like you mean it; with encouragement, grit, and inspiration, just as you would if you were speaking to a child.
- Meditation is a great way to calm down and reset. It’s something I do in the morning before I turn my computer on, or in the middle of the day when my shoulders get tight and my head starts pounding. Once I’ve meditated, the tension just disappears. Check out this free daily meditation from Calm that I use to elevate my meditation practice.
- Journal. I cannot stress this enough—make entries each day to reflect on how your day went and how you responded to or handled certain situations. Consider different ways that you could have approached things that would have led to a better outcome. Self-reflection will grow stronger self-awareness.
- Unplug! We literally have access to everything, all the time. Put the phone down, step away from the computer, and turn off the TV. Your mind will thank you.
- Sit in silence. My mom used to tell me that silence is the best sound. It took me a while to figure out exactly what she meant, but this is now something I completely understand as I have aged.
- Eat well. Not less. No fad diets. Just eat well. I’m talking about healthy foods, not processed junk. Your gut will appreciate it and you will feel 100% better!
Some of the points I have listed are probably overlooked when you think about Wellness. The bottom line is that when you are genuine and intentional with your daily decisions, you feel more at peace. When your mind is in the right space, your body will follow its lead!